Followers

Wednesday 27 March 2013

Broken Wings: 11


Chapter 11

Aunt Nazatul sobbed harder as she finished telling the hurtful truth. I couldn’t bear watching her sad so shifted near her and hugged her tight. I could feel what she felt after all he went through. She really loves my mom so much.

As I was hugging her, my tears couldn’t stop flowing. Now that I learn the truth, I think what I need to do know is praying for my mom’s health. I need to get healthy fast since I am not feeling well since this evening.

Aunt Nazatul wiped her tears, saying sorry for disturbing me. I console her by saying it is okay to cry. I can be her shoulder to cry on. She excused herself after that for it was nearly midnight. I watched her leaving my room and I sighed heavily. When I’m completely healed, I need to do something important. I need to find my biological uncle, Uncle Azlan.

***

1981

Kalsom opened her bedroom window and feel the cool breeze of air. She could see the glimmering sea from her window. She smiled as the sun shining magnificently above her. Then she woke Merdu who was still having her wonderful dream.

“Wake up, Merdu. It’s nearly noon,” Kalsom shook her twin’s arm gently.
Merdu stirred and rubbed her sleepy eyes. “What time is it?” her voice croaked.
“10.15. A maiden shouldn’t wake up late, you know,” Kalsom giggled as she loved teasing Merdu.
Merdu slowly get up from bed and she threw her blanket playfully to Kalsom. Both of them laughed and Merdu grabbed her towel and went to the bathroom. Kalsom made Merdu’s bed and waited for her in the living room.

Both of them furthered their study in MARA Institute of Technology in Terengganu. It was located near the beach and both Kalsom and Merdu loved being here. They stayed in a wooden-like-house hostel which consisted of 15 students. Her housemates hailed from other states and all of them were very friendly and some were close to Kalsom and Merdu.

Merdu and Kalsom went to the library since it was weekend. They loved going to the library especially Kalsom for she loved reading very much. She could finish more than three novels in one week and she managed her time well – studying and enjoying herself with books.

They needed to finish their assignment and of course, library was the best place for them to search the information. There were only few people in the library during this hour and it was the perfect time for Kalsom to focus on her study. She needed a quiet place so she could concentrate. Unlike Merdu, she could study anywhere she liked but she always stick around with Kalsom during the weekend. She loved being in the library too but not as often as Kalsom.

Then Kalsom spotted a group of boys entering the library and sat not far from her table. She couldn’t care less about them but there’s one boy made her mood spoiled. He was in her lecture class and loved cracking jokes with his three friends. Kalsom didn’t like him because he’s a noisy person and talked big. And that made her feel annoyed.

“Merdu, I think I want to go back to the hostel,” said Kalsom, out of the blue.
“Why? Aren’t you feeling well? You look kind of sick,” asked Merdu worriedly.
“My stomach...it doesn’t feel so good,” Kalsom made her face looked like she got stomach-ache.
“Okay. Let’s go back,” said Merdu and both of them left the library. Merdu didn’t know that Kalsom was ‘allergic’ to that particular boy.

As both of them left, that boy took a glance at Kalsom coincidently. Then he spotted something fell down from Kalsom’s book. She wanted to call for her but she disappeared very fast. He picked up that thing and quickly put it in his pocket.


Dear diary,

Today is my rotten luck day! I saw Firdaus at the library this morning with his bunch of friends when Merdu and I were doing our assignment. I nearly finished the last part and those muttering idiots came and spoiled my study mood. It’s not like I hate them but I don’t like them that much, especially Firdaus because he’s lousy, noisy and annoying.

I never talked to him though but I don’t want to. Never. Except for some cases, perhaps. Thank God Merdu doesn’t know about this. She knows I’m not having a love-fest with any boys in this institute. Unlike some of our housemates who fall in love with other boys from other courses. They even went out for a date in the weekend, just like today!

Dating is not my style of life and I promised Mak and Ayah, and Kak Naz to study hard and get a flying colour result. That’s why Merdu and I are here. We’re not going to let any opportunity slips from out hand!

I need to finish my assignment by tonight even though Mr. Hakim wants us to submit the assignment in two weeks. When I have done my assignment, I can continue reading new books at the library. I saw some of new books on the shelves. I can’t wait to read all of them!

There’ll be a night market tomorrow evening and Merdu and I are planning to go there. It’s quite far and we need to get the van early. We love going to the night market for it has a variety of delicacies. I have few Ringgit left so I think I should sometimes spend them on food. My scholarship money is enough for this month since I don’t go out much. Abang Shah sometimes sends some extra money to us if he came visiting us here. Oh, I missed my family so much. Abang Shah is getting married soon and Merdu and I are glad to hear that. We can’t wait to know who our sister-in-law is!

It’s nearly midnight and I have to pen-off. Merdu is snoring soundly. She’s kind of tired because she played netball with our friends this evening. I’m not into netball so I just watched. I’ll write again tomorrow, my dearest diary.

2 comments:

Parmita said...

Love is in the air and I can smell it. *giggles*
I think that this boy is going to play a very important role in Kalsom's life. ;)

I am so happy to know that Kalsom got to study further. She deserves to be treated well.

Can't wait for more.
Take care dear Fei! :)

Ciklong said...

yes, Sui! you intuition is right!

after all Kalsom have been through, I think I should develop her love life...hehe.

i'll write more and more!
hope that you'll wait patiently because this is the first time i'm going to write a love story :)