Followers

Saturday 19 May 2012

Circle Quartet: 32


Chapter 32

One of all things that I hate the most is to know the ugly truth. Seriously, I hate the word ugly. Sometimes, when we know the truth, we feel satisfied. Like the first time I knew that I’m a vampire, I was in the cloud nine. For me, being a vampire is something that is so cool because I’m different from normal human beings. I drink blood, I can sleep inside the coffin and I can disappear into thin air with a single poof!

But the truth can be really disturbing. You see, I read a lot about the myth and legends of vampires and the other four main clans. When I knew I’m a vampire, I was afraid to go outside to play with any human friends because a vampire can’t be exposed to direct sunlight. I tried to avoid my favourite food which is garlic bread because a vampire can’t even go near the garlic. I demanded Dad to buy me a coffin because vampires sleep in a coffin.

Dad just laughed when I told him that I didn’t want to go outside, or eating garlic. The scariest thing of all is the stake. Vampire can be killed with a stake that strike through the heart. Dad once said that everybody will die if someone stabs a stake to someone’s heart. Dad loves to play golf every weekend and brought me along. He said that he didn’t die just because of sunbathing or stay long under the sun. He even ate garlic bread in front of me, saying how delicious garlic bread is.

When I grew older, those things are not a bother anymore. I enjoy sunbathing every summer. I love garlic bread; I can even eat more than ten garlic bread sticks every morning. I sleep on a cosy bed like everybody does.

That was the day when I learned the truth about modern vampires.

Today, the feeling is different.

Knowing the truth about Alse is really disturbing. After the shocking meeting with Alse, Jeff told me the truth.

And the truth is, Alse is Grandma Zelda’s eldest sister. That’s why they look alike.

But there’s one more thing that make me distraught. If Alse’s age is more than 100 years, how old is Grandma Zelda now? And how old are my parents? And the most important thing, how old am I now?

I search for the book about Alse in the library and this time I forbid anyone to accompany me here. I need to have my own privacy. I’ve found one book about dark witches and Alse was the founder. She got more than a hundred followers back in 500 years ago and all of them were turned into monsters and goblins. And all of them were females.

But the book didn’t mention much about the early history of Alse. And I think I need to ask Grandma Zelda herself. She’s the one who knows her eldest sister. Grandma Zelda is rarely at the Academy since Alse got free from the seal. I know she’s busy with other Eldest to stop Alse.

I sigh heavily and put the book back on the shelf. I look around the library and realize that I’m alone. Only the librarian on duty is here but she’s also busy arranging the books. I walk out of the library and go toward the fountain.

The air is still but cold tonight. I sit down on the bench and look up at the dark sky. No stars appear tonight. Maybe it’s cloudy because I can’t even see the moon. Once I read ghost stories when I was small. Ghosts usually appear during full moon. A man changed into werewolf during full moon. Werewolf reminds me of Stefan. And also reminds me of the final test in the enchanted forest. That incident always makes me smile.

“Looks like you are a little bit calm,” says a deep but gentle voice.

I quickly turn around. Sitting next to me is a man wearing a robe with hood; the man that I saw at this fountain back then. I yelp and fall from the bench. That man helps me get up and chuckles lightly. I only can see the lower part of his pale face and his mouth.

“Sorry for surprising you,” he says as he pulls me up.

“It’s...it’s okay,” I say, brushing the dirt. I don’t know why I feel like I knew him before. “Who are you?” I ask, staring at him.

“Let’s just say I’m your guardian. It’s not the right time for you to know me yet, Alice,” he smiles.

“You know my name?” my eyes widen.

“Of course I do. Everybody knows you, Alice. I mean, everybody in this beautiful, majestic Academy knows you. A vamp-girl who is smart and loves adventure,” his smiles never fade from his face.

I’m still blinking while staring at him.

“Don’t be so stiff, Alice. I won’t hurt you. I’m your guardian, remember? A guardian is supposed to protect his master,” he says gently.

“I thought that you’re a ghost. I saw you here, a long time ago. And then, when I woke up, I was somewhere else. And Stefan said that I fainted,” I say.

“That’s because I hypnotised you. I’m sorry for doing that but I really wanted to see you that time. Nobody else can see me except you, Alice,” he says.

“What? Why?” I ask and this time it’s getting curious.

“Because you’ve been chosen to have me as your guardian,” he replies.

“Who ordered you to be my guardian? I don't need one, for your information. I can take care of myself,” I say firmly. “I don’t mean to let you down. But, seriously, I don’t need any guardian whom I don’t know the identity.”

He chuckles again and looks up to the sky.

“Like I said, it’s not the right time for you to know about me. But,” he looks at me, “one day, when you need help, I’ll come to serve you.”

Then he disappears. How I hate this kind of situation! One minute he’s here, the next he’s gone.

“Alice? What are you doing here? I thought that you’re in the library,” Stefan appears and once again I yelp and fell on the ground. “Are you okay?”

“Oh, for the bloody vamp!” I grumble irately as I stand up one more time. “You know what, I hate falling down from the bench!”

Stefan clears his throat. “Sorry, Alice. I didn’t mean to fright you. I want to tell you that Jeff wants to hold an urgent meeting right now. Both of us need to be there,” he says.

We rush to the room where Jeff holds the meeting. There are only 6 people in this room including me and Stefan. We take a seat and listen to what Jeff wants to say. He explains the current situation of Alse. She’s trying to destroy the Academy since Grandma Zelda is the founder of this place. But she’s still lack of her powerful dark magic and we, as the first class assassin, need to stop her from killing innocent people and protect our clans and our Academy.

“We’re in critical situation and we need plans and strategies to stop Alse. Starting from tomorrow night, all of us will have our own position. But tonight, I’ve decided the position for all of you here. Alice and Stefan,” Jeff turns to me with a serious face, “your position is here, in this Academy.”

“What?” I snap and stand up abruptly. Everyone gasps as I bang my hand on the table. “What do you mean my position is here?”

“I command you not to join the squad,” Jeff stares coldly at me.

2 comments:

Parmita said...

You did it again! Great chapter with excitement unlimited. I liked knowing Alice's perspective at the beginning of the chapter. It's a relief to know that Alse is Grandma Zelda's sister and not Grandma Zelda herself. I get it now as to why Alse would want to destroy the academy. It's good news that Alice has a guardian watching over her. I have a feeling that Alice has a role a lot more deeper than it looks on the surface. After Jeff made her stay in the academy I have become even more sure that something is up which might put Alice in more trouble than she can imagine.
I look forward to know more.
Keep up the good work and all the best for marking papers. It is great that you take out time to write this fabulous story. Love ya for this! <3

Ciklong said...

Sui: haha! i know that you'll like this chapter. it took me one and a half day to write this one since the ideas burst into my brain. haha ^^

first, i wanted to make Alse as Grandma Zelda's twin sister. but it's too cliche. so, i decided to make her as the eldest. and usually, the eldest always feel jealous towards the other siblings. hehe.

you have a strong instinct, Sui, about Alice. the next chapter will be more intrigue (i hope so). the death chapter is also near. just wait for other chapter to know who'll die...hehe.

thanks for reading, Sui <3