Followers

Saturday 31 March 2012

Circle Quartet: 27


Chapter 27

It’s hard to tell when you know the ugly truth. Being a mind-reader is hard not to hear the whole thing. Yes, I learn something really, really ugly when I eavesdropped – or the exact words, reading mind, just now. I don’t think that Mom and Dad knew that I was there, hearing their conversation.

I lie on my bed, staring and the ceiling – once again, and sigh heavily. I wish that I’m dreaming right now. The conversation is keeping on playing in my mind; the way Mom sounded so worryingly. What I need to do now is not to think much about this.

Since I had gone through the blooding session, the night has become my day. I seldom sleep during night time and I usually spend my ‘day’ in the library, or gym, or somewhere where normal people can’t see me. Sometimes I like to sit on someone else’s roof and look for some preys like robbers.

I get up and stretch my body. I need to get some fresh night air. Since it was snowing – it’s now winter, I decide to take for a little stroll around the mansion. I don’t need any winter coat as I step outside. Cold breeze brushes my cheek. It makes me feel calm. I think this is the good way to get rid off of what I’ve heard from Mom and Dad.

But I won’t dare to go outside of the mansion area since Dad said that we all need to be careful. I don’t want to get caught by that person. I read about her in a book a long time ago and her name shivers my spine. Until now.

I take a walk to the garden. Even the snow is not thick but I can hear the crunching sound of my footsteps. I turn my gaze to the mansion and see some lights are still on. Most of us in this mansion are nocturnal creature so it’s normal for us to stay awake during the night.

I take a seat on a bench and look at the dark night sky. No stars can be seen tonight. I bet this place will be covered with thick snow tomorrow morning. My gaze falls on Raina’s room. The light is still on and I can see her shadow lingering about near the window. Probably she’s on the phone.

A naughty thought suddenly comes in my mind. It’s been a while since I didn’t tease Raina, especially in the middle of the night like this. I slowly walk, approaching the wall and look up again to the third floor straight to Raina’s window. I can hear her voice bubbling into the air. I think she’s talking to Tavis.

I jump up to her window and land in her balcony. I make a frightening face and she drops her cell phone. Her scream starts to disturb the calm snowy night.

“Hey, it’s okay! It’s me!” I grab her as she starts to scream louder.

“Don’t ever do that again!” she shrieks and nearly makes me deaf.

I chuckle and pick up her cell phone.

“Raina? Honey, is everything fine?” I hear Tavis’ voice on the other side. He sounds so worry.

“Hello, Tavis. It’s me, Alice,” I say.

“Oh, Alice, it’s you. Where’s Raina? What happened to her? I heard her screaming just now,” Tavis is now in panic.

“Oh, it’s nothing, really. I jumped to her window and shocked her. That’s all,” I reply.

Tavis sighs in relief. “Thank God. Tell her that I’m going to call her again tomorrow. Night, Alice.”

“Nighty-night, Tavis,” I hang up the call.

Raina is now staring madly at me. I think she’s going to turn into old ugly witch, just like in Wizard of Oz.

“Chill, Raina. I just want to have fun with you,” I shrug while smiling at her.

“You nearly make my heart stop, you know. Why you haven’t gone to sleep yet, Alice?” she asks and this time she’s calming down as she sits on the floor.

I sit next to her. “I’m a nocturnal creature, remember? I’m not supposed to sleep in this time. It’s you who is supposed to go to bed. It’s late,” I point to the clock on the wall. It’s nearly 3 a.m.

“I’m trying to be nocturnal too. You see, I wanted to be an assassin so badly. Like Deena and Jeff. And you,” she says.

“I’m not an assassin yet. And Deena is special. She joins the Academy earlier than I am. And she’s one of the best assassin in Jeff’s team,” I state.

“Really? Don’t you want to be like her too?” Raina lies on the floor.

“Of course I do. Everybody in our family wanted to be assassins. All you have to do is to show your ability. But I don’t think that you’re capable to be an assassin,” I glance at her, smiling teasingly.

“Why not?” she frowns.

“Because the enemy will run away if they hear your voice, Raina. I think you should be the executioner. You can send the enemy to death by breaking their ears with your high-pitch voice,” I try not to laugh.

“You jerk!” she hit me with her pillow and I hit her back.

The pillow fight begins but not too long. We end up on the floor, laughing.

“Hey, Raina,” I call her. “You read a lot about witch and wizard, right?” I glance at her.

She nods. “Yeah. Is there anything you want to ask? Just shoot. I know everything about my clan by heart.”

“I read about witch and wizard too, but, there’s one thing that I need to know in detail,” I say without looking at her. I grip on the pillow that I’m holding now. “Can you tell me more about your first ancestor who…”

Raina abruptly gets up and stares at me before I manage to complete my question. “The First of what?” she sounds much more serious this time.

“The one who had betrayed your clan?” I gulp.

“Don’t mention the name in this middle of night, Alice,” she says in a very serious tone. “Of course I know about her. She’s the one who created Black Magic and started the Ancient War. You know about her too, right, from your mother. Why do you want to ask me more?” she asks by locking her gazes to mine.

I tell her what I have heard from my parents and the news shocking her. She’s no speechless and looking even paler than a zombie. She shakes her head in disbelief as I end my story.

“This can’t be happening,” she whispers.

The suddenly a black soot appears in front of us that makes us jump in fright. It’s a message from Grandma Zelda. The dust spread into figure of words, telling is there’s an urgent family meeting in the Meeting Room.



The members of the Circle gathers in the meeting room shortly, right after Raina and I arrive. Grandma Zelda is already taking her seat and waiting for the members to sit down. Everyone is wondering why Grandma wants to hold a meeting in this hour.

“We shall start our meeting now,” announces Grandma Zelda. The Meeting Room is now in silence.

“The purpose that I hold this meeting is to tell you something that is very improtant. A very bad news, actually,” says Grandma Zelda. “It’s about Alse the Black Magic Woman.”

Everyone gasps and whispers to each other. I already knew the news but still it’s shocking to hear it loud and clear from Grandma’s mouth.

“Jeff,” calls Grandma Zelda to Jeff who is sitting next to Dad. “Proceed.”

Jeff clears his throat before starts talking. “We have been aware of this time to come. I know that everyone on this hall knows about the history of Alse. And everyone knows that she’s been sealed in the heart of Mount Gotakey because of her wrongdoings. But the seal is now broken.”

Another gasps is heard. And now it seems to be more panicking.

“Then she’s back from the dead?” asks Raina.

“No, Raina,” Jeff shakes his head. Raina sighs in relief. “Although the seal is broken, Alse hasn’t got her powers yet. She’s now in disguise as a teenager,” Jeff presses some button and the lights go dim. The projector screen scrolls down and a picture of a teenage girl appears.

“Wait a minute! I know this girl! She’s my new classmate, Yvonne!” Sable stands up and points to the picture of Yvonne.

“Hey, you’re right, Sable. She is our classmate,” adds Harley.

“Yes. She’s now Yvonne Ashen. She appears last month and started to go to the same school as Sable and Harley. We’ve been spying her after the seal had broken. Her powers right now is not as powerful as before but still she can create some dangerous poisons,” says Jeff.

“This is going to get ugly,” groans Harley. “She’s in my group in Biology class.”

“That’s why we have to be careful for she’s now taking her next step. She needs the blood from the four Main Families which are considered as special to break the seal inside her body as well as getting her powers back. Until now, she only has taken one blood from the Black family,” says Grandma Zelda.

“Who’s blood has she taken from?” asks Beatrice worriedly.

“My husband. It’s the work of a stray dog. He had found the chamber where we put the blood of our ancestors. Look likes he’s also on the move to get another three,” replies Grandma Zelda.

A stray dog? That reminds me of something where Dad and Mr. Saba had mentioned. Who is the stray dog anyway? 

4 comments:

Parmita said...

An interesting turn of events. Right from the start, this chapter kept me on my toes. I absolutely love the narration. The pace of the chapter kept me engaged until the end. Now the story unravels itself and some serious stuff takes place in Alice's world.

Good job Feilong! I really felt as if I was reading a novel as I imagined things happening right in front of my eyes. I want more!!!

Ciklong said...

Sui:

i'm glad that you like this chapter. this is the chapter that i did editing most. there are a lot of things I want to write but I need to control the pace of the story.

This story will be much more serious afterwards. the war is going to start soon and i really, really need to do the best as I can to make the readers grip to the story.

there will be more. don't worry, pal :)

Noblesse Key said...

I'm slowly reading the previous post so that I could have a full grasp of the story...

I like supernatural stories the most!

Ciklong said...

Noblesse Key:

thanks for dropping your comment here :)

take your time to read the previous chapters. i never thought that i've made it this far. hehe.

if this story didn't interest you, i'll add some ghost stories more :)