Followers

Monday 18 June 2012

Circle Quartet: 36


Chapter 36

“Jeff? Is that really you?” I frown in disbelieving.

“Yes and no,” Jeff answers with a warm smile.

“What do you mean?” asks Stefan. He takes a step in front of me for he’s not sure whether that man is truly Jeff or not.

“I know that I freaked you guys out just now. I’m Jeff but not your real brother,” he shifts his gaze at me. “I only change into his figure. Jeff transferred his remaining soul into that necklace. And when the necklace touches my elemental body, I change into him, just like now.”

Both Stefan and I stare at him in silence.

“Jeff often came here and met me. One day, he told me that he’ll die. Then, he told me that I will take his place to protect the most important person in his entire life, which is you, Alice. That’s why I decided to make a contract with Jeff. Once his life was taken away, I’ll take over his place. And when I enter your world, only the wearer of the necklace can see me,” he explains.

“So, I can’t see you when we get out of this place?” asks Stefan. Jeff nods.

“Only Alice can see me. This is for her safety since Alse is targeting her,” replies Jeff.

“But Alse wanted Stefan’s blood too,” I cut in.

“I know. But Alse wants more from you. I don’t know the reason but that is what Jeff had told me. I’ll stay in the necklace as a spirit and Alice, you can summon me anytime that you want. But, you can’t tell this to other people. Jeff said that once you reveal the secret, I’ll vanish,” he says in a serious voice.

This is getting weird. First, Jeff’s death. And now, this. I thought Jeff is coming back to life but I was wrong. There are lots of thing that I need to ask him but the questions just linger in my mind. I don’t know where to start. Suddenly, something comes across my mind.

“You said Jeff put half of his soul in the necklace,” I say. Jeff nods. “When?” I ask.

“The night that he died,” Jeff replies.

I remembered when I hugged him for the last time, I felt something warm absorbed into the necklace. Maybe that was the time when Jeff transferred his soul into this. I grip the necklace and sigh. Stefan puts his hand on my left shoulder, saying that I should calm myself down.  

“I may not be your real brother but I’ll carry my duty as I promise. I hope that you can accept me as I am,” says Jeff, looking straight at me.

I look at him for a while and smile. “Sure. At least I still have my brother’s soul with me.”

After that, we go back home. Jeff transfers his spirit into my necklace when I reach my room. It’s nearly dawn and it’s time to rest.


Now I am craving for meat. I’m now in my family’s chamber, laying flat on the couch, facing Mom who is preparing for dinner. Dad, Ace and Sable are out, playing golf, perhaps.

“Mom, can you cook grilled-beef for tonight?” I ask, still laying flat on the couch. I’m too lazy to walk up to her.

“Grilled-beef? It’s rare for you to ask for beef, Alice dear. Are you sure that you’re okay?” asks Mom as she opens the fridge.

“I have a dream this morning. We have beef party and I’m craving for one,” I reply.

“Well, let me see,” she peers into the fridge, “we don’t have beef. Guess that we have to eat chicken.”

“Ask Dad to buy them when he’s on his way back,” I say. I really, really want the grilled-beef.

“Why don’t you ask Stefan to deliver the meat? He’s a werewolf and werewolf normally eats meat,” she closes the fridge and starts to wash something in the sink.

“What?” I raise my head abruptly and unfortunately I fall down from the couch. “Ouch!” I rub my head. It’s going to have a huge bump up there.

“Alice, honey, are you okay?” shouts Mom as she hears the loud thud.

“I’m fine, I’m fine,” I mutter.

“How about I make grilled-chicken? Is that okay with you?” asks Mom, still shouting.

I ponder for a while. Grilled-chicken is good too, but I’m craving desperately for grilled-beef. Oh well, as long as I can eat for dinner, its fine.

“Okay, Mom!” I shout and climb lazily on the couch and lay flat, again. I don’t know why I’m craving so much for grilled-beef. Am I going to be a werewolf? No way!

“You won’t turn into a werewolf, Alice. It’s normal for vampire to crave for beef. Everybody loves beef,” Jeff appears out of the blue and makes me yelp. This time, I don’t fall down the couch. Thank God!

“Alice, what’s wrong?” shouts Mom.

“Nothing, Mom. I nearly fell from the couch,” I shout. “What are you doing here? I didn’t summon you!” I hiss angrily at Jeff who is snickering seeing my shocking face.

“Sorry. I just feel a little bit bored being inside the necklace. I forgot to tell you that I can come out anytime that I want,” he grins.

“Don’t ever do that again!” I warn him, still in hissing voice. I don’t want Mom to get suspicious when she hears me talking alone in this living room.

Then, the door opens with two tanned-skin boys entering the chamber. I burst into laughter.

“What happened to you? You guys look like scorching lobsters!” I laugh. Jeff laughs out loud too but no one hears him except me.

“Don’t laugh, Alice! It was all Dad’s fault!” screams Ace in agony. “He forced us to play golf for 3 hours. And then, he drove us to the beach for sunbathing!”

“I’mgonnadie! I’mgonnadie! I’mgonnadie!” Sable lies flat on the floor, muttering that he’s going to die.

“Hello there, little buddy! Look what I got for you?” Dad appears with his beaming face, holding a plastic of seashells.

I roll my eyes and he laughs. “You know what, that’s your mother’s favourite habit. Rolling her eyes. Beautiful,” he kisses me on the cheek. “Hey, honey! I’m home!” he rushes to the kitchen and I can hear Mom squeals in joy. I don’t know whether Dad brought something nice to her, or they’re just being romantic in the kitchen.

Kitchen is their favourite for kissing. Weird, huh? Well, we’re not normal to begin with.

We have dinner which is grilled-chicken. Sable and Ace are fighting over a drumstick as usual. Mom nearly turns them into chickens. I have a wonderful dinner since Jeff’s death. Mom puts a frame of Jeff near the dining table so that we feel that Jeff is eating with us. Well, Jeff is eating with us now but no one can see him except me. And he’s really enjoying his meal.

Few days pass and it is time for me and Beatrice to go back to the Academy. Raven, Raina, and Ace are going to for they have been promoted. Raina is the one who is still squealing with joy that she can join the Academy. We board the train, like usual, together with the Silvers. This time, another Silvers joins us too; Tavis. So, Raina gets super excited seeing her fiancé in the train. They nearly turn us all deaf.

When I reach the Academy, I teleport to my room to say hello to Abby. She has arrived yesterday and she’s so glad to see me. She says that she really misses me during the break and I tell her that I’m fine now. I can’t wait to go to the class tomorrow for the new semester will begin since Alse won’t disturb us for long. We’re going to have a night class for we’re now nocturnal.

I go to the Vampire Parlour at the north wing to pay respect for Jeff. Portraits of memorable heroes are hung there. I walk around the parlour, looking at every portrait of my great, great grandfathers. But there’s no portrait of Vlad, the first vampire. Maybe they only hang his portrait at the Main Hall. Then, I stop at Jeff’s portrait. He’s wearing a silver cloak, showing that he’s the First Commander. I feel proud of him when I look at his picture. Then, my eyes catch something below the portrait. I take a step closer. There’s something written there.

Jefferson Amber-Black (1712 – 2012).

My eyes widen. Jeff had been living for 300 years? Then, how old am I now?

4 comments:

Noblesse Key said...

Sometimes my mom tells me that I might be going crazy when I talk to myself while I'm facing the mirror.

Ï'mgonnadie! I really thought that this was in another language, I ahve to read it thrice! ahahahah..

This is a smooth story. Just keep the ballpens rolling!

Ciklong said...

Mr. Key: I used to talk to myself whenever I feel bored. that's why my Mom and Dad called me 'Alien". ahaha!

Sable likes to talk very fast when he's complaining or whining or in panic. haha.

this is a relaxing chapter with a suspense in the end. i love to put the suspense in the last line. haha. thanks for reading :)

Parmita said...

This is mind-blowing. Even though Jeff didn't return in full, at least half of his soul is intact. That'll reduce my grief to some extent. hehe

I am kind of relieved to know that Jeff had been alive for 300 years. It is sad to see someone really young die but Jeff is three centuries old. Wowie!!!

It was relaxing to read this chapter. Alice and her family are doing their best to overcome the loss.

I look forward to more.
Take care buddy! :)

Ciklong said...

Sui:

haha. i know you'll feel relieve knowing this.

i want to reveal the secret bit by bit. Jeff's age is one of the clues in revealing another secret. i'm going to write more suspense with a little bit humor and relaxing chapter.

i'll post the next chapter as soon as possible :)