Followers

Saturday 23 June 2012

Circle Quartet: 37


Chapter 37

I can’t concentrate much in the class tonight. I’m still thinking of what I saw last night. Fortunately, this is only the briefing class for the new semester. Everything has been installed and updated in our D-Vice so all we need to do is refer to it. There will be a lot of training sessions for our class, the Elite Class, since we are automatically nominated to be assassins. And yes, we’re still searching for Cody since he left the Academy for months, or I should say, he betrayed his clan and ran away with super evil creature.

My cousin, Adam, is our class advisor. He’s one of the great vampire-assassin and he used to be in one team with Jeff. Even though he looks kind of nerd (because he likes to wear a spectacle though he has a very good vision; all vampires have good vision), but he is as great as Jeff. Whenever he was given a task or mission, he never failed. But he’s quite funny person whom I can get along well.

Adam explains about the second semester where he states that this is the toughest semester for all of us. We don’t know when Alse might come back and attack us, so we need to be extra careful and extra aware. He stresses on the word extra. After the briefing class, we scatter to the night cafeteria since we’re hungry. Some go back to their respective rooms, some go to the library and some go to the gym. Abbie, Stefan and I go to the library since I ask them to discuss something. But before that, I ask them to follow me to the Vampire Parlour at the north wing.

Both of Abbie and Stefan is shock when I show them the writings below Jeff’s portrait. After that, we adjourn to the library. We take a seat a little bit far from anyone else and I grab some books about the four clans.

“I think our parents are hiding something very important to us,” I say and show the page about the age of our clan. “Our longevity.”

“You’re right. I mean, why they want to hide our real age from us? I thought I’m 18,” Abbie agrees.

“Maybe they have their own explanation. Or, they wanted to get the right time to tell us,” says Stefan. “I can’t believe that Jeff’s real age was 300 years old. Maybe Zayne is 300 years old too.”

“Me neither. I couldn’t help staring at the mirror, thinking about my real age,” I close the book.

“So, do we need to ask our parents about our real age? Or search for our birth certificate? Our parents must keep them somewhere,” Abbie gives opinion.

We get into silence for a while, thinking.

“I think we should let them tell us in the right. The most important thing that we need to do is focus on our training. We have special training 4 times a week,” Stefan cracks the silence. He seldom does that.

“I agree with Stefan, Abbie. Right now, we need to be stronger to defeat Alse. Besides, we’re not human beings. Of course we live longer than them,” I nod.

Abbie shrugs. “That’s fine by me too. Oh, let’s go to the cafeteria. My stomach is calling for food!” She stands up, grabs my hands and Stefan’s and teleport to the cafeteria.


I walk to the parlour once again to watch the portrait of Jeff. Even though the SimpleThing change into Jeff, but he’s not like the real Jeff. I really miss the real Jeff most. I don’t know how long I gaze at his portrait but there’s someone else in this parlour watching me from behind. I heard someone is clearing the throat and I quickly turn around. It’s a hooded-man who proclaims that he’s my guardian.

“Sorry for surprising you, Alice. I didn’t mean to watch you from behind,” says the guardian.

I just stare at him.

“I know you miss Jeff so much. He’s a good brother and also a good Commander. I also feel sad about his lost,” says the guardian and takes a step next to me.

The spirit Jeff is also standing next to me but the guardian can’t see him. I’m sure that he can’t because he doesn’t even glare at Jeff.

“You knew my brother?” I ask.

“I’ve known him since he was very small, Alice. It was many, many years ago. You’re not even born yet that time. He’s a kid with a special talent. And yet, he’s very down-to-earth person. He entered this Academy when he was 80 years old. 13 years old in human age,” the guardian smiles.

“If you knew Jeff when he was small, then your age must be…,” I frown.

“Way older than him. But it’s not the right time for you to know who I really am. The important thing now is dealing with Alse. She’s not dead yet and she will come back. In the mean time, I want you to get ready for her arrival,” he says.

“Why Alse is targeting me even she wants Stefan’s blood too?” I ask. I hope I can get the clear answer this time.

The guardian only looks at me and smiles. “You need to find out yourself.” Then, he disappears.

“Who’s that, Alice?” asks Jeff who stays silence during our conversation.

“He claims that he’s my guardian. He never told me his name. I think he holds the answer but he doesn’t want to tell me,” I reply with a sigh.

“A guardian? Well, he’s kind of…spooky. Lucky me he couldn’t see me standing here next to you,” Jeff sighs in relief.

“Why? Are you afraid that you’ll vanish?” I chuckle. This Jeff is quite funny and gets panic easily. I wonder if he’s reliable to carry out his duty as he had promised Jeff.

“That’s one thing,” he chuckles while scratching the back of his head. “But that man really sends chill down to my spine.”

“Oh, really? Are you sure you have spine in the first place? You’re only a spirit,” I tease him.

“Hey, a spirit can get scared, you know?” he pouts.

I laugh at him and he’s still making his sulky face. Then, we go back to my room. It’s nearly dawn and I need a good sleep for the class tomorrow. Abbie is getting ready to sleep when I reach the room. I tell her I went to the parlour before coming here. Jeff is watching outside. He wants to guard the door even if I ask him to get back to the necklace.


We are now gathering at the Great Hall. I sit next to Abbie while Stefan sits next to me. The hall is filled with loud whispers from others while waiting for the Elders to come. Our parents also come and they sit at the front rows. I can see Mom and Dad sitting next to each other while Stefan’s parents sit next to mine. Not long after all the students filling the hall, the Elders appear on the top of the stage. They are wearing the formal attire according to the clan.

Grandma Zelda steps forward to the rostrum and tap the mike. The hall turns silence. Then she clears her throat. “Welcome to the Great Hall, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for coming today. Let’s begin our special ceremony. Don’t worry, it won’t be long, I promise,” Grandma Zelda beams. Everyone chuckles but not very loud. “After we had lost our First-Commander in Assassin Squad, we did a meeting with the Elders and Members of the Board. We decided to appoint Zayne Silver as the new First Commander of the Assassin Squad,” announces Grandma Zelda.

When Zayne steps in front of the stage, everybody stands up and gives a round of big applause, including me, Stefan and Abbie. Zayne gives a little speech, saying thank you and vow to be a good commander. He is the one who’s capable to be our new First Commander. After the ceremony, both Stefan and I go to meet Zayne. We congratulate him and he’s very happy. Next, his parents show up and hug him tight. I still remember when Jeff was appointed to be the First Commander. Mom and Dad hugged him tight and then Jeff hugged us, his siblings.

Zayne startles me as he pats on my head, just like Jeff used to do. I look at him and smile. He says that he’s going to treat me like Jeff did. Then, we go to the dining hall for supper. I need to eat something before going to sleep. I have hunting class tomorrow and I bet it’s going to be fun.

4 comments:

Faris Nafiah said...

Wahh!
this really is a great blog!
Hope can learn alot from you teacher!
eheh!

Ciklong said...

Habiburrahim:

thanks for visiting my blog. hehe.
hope that you enjoy reading my story.
and i love to read yours too.
let's learn from each other :)

Parmita said...

While reading this story I feel like reading a novel. When I read this chapter I got nostalgic about my school days. That feeling of school reopening after vacations, the classes, schedules....
You have come a long way with this story and you are doing it wonderfully.
Keep it up Feilong!

Ciklong said...

Sui:

thanks buddy *hugs*

i made this chapter quite nostalgic before entering the new adventure for the oncoming chapters. Alice and her friends are now in the new semester and the war is coming up (a little bit of spoiler there). Alse will be back and this time is going to be more thrilling :)

thanks for the support, buddy XD