Followers

Wednesday 21 December 2011

Circle Quartet: 11


Chapter 11

It’s another mundane Monday. The sky is quite gloomy and huge puffy grey clouds floating slowly. Rough wind shakes the trees which most of them are nearly naked. The branches sway like they are waving to the clouds. Winter is coming soon. I put on my thick maroon sweater and gloves. Sometimes I can’t stand the cold even after having a nice warm shower.

I join my family in the main dining hall. Aunt Ada cooks lots of foods today such as bacon sandwiches, porridge, tuna rolls, and mashed potatoes and of course my favourite food of all time, garlic bread with mushroom soup. Beatrice is the only one who is not here with us because she already left for her college. I think she’s going to be busy on her studies and missions.

After having nice breakfast – I ate up all the bread sticks and Aunt Ada packed me more garlic bread sticks, sandwiches and tuna rolls in two lunch boxes with two bottles of mineral water. Dad gets the car ready in front of the porch. Ace and Sable help me put the bags in the car boot and I check my things again before getting in the car. Mom trots to the car afterwards with Grandma Zelda.

Grandma Zelda hugs me and gives me a peck on both of my cheeks, telling me to be careful along the journey. My uncles, aunties and cousins waves me goodbye as I get on the car and rolls down the window. I wave them back and send some flying kisses to my little cousins. Ace and Sable join me afterwards. Dad honks the car and drives out of the driveway. I pop my head out of the window where the wind brushes my short and choppy hair and wave at the huge mansion.

Goodbye nice and spacious room. Goodbye big lovely mansion. Goodbye Sewra. Till we meet again.

17 years living in that mansion give me lots of good memorable days. I feel a little sad for leaving the house, the families. I nearly burst into tears but crying won’t help me in this situation. Life must go on.

We don’t talk much on the way to the train station. I know Ace and Sable are sad because I won’t live with them anymore. I know how they feel. It’s the same when Jeff had to leave too. Sable is the saddest among two of them. I think because he’s the youngest so he’s kind of sensitive. I can easily recognize the feelings written on his face, not like Ace. Ace is good in hiding his true feelings.

We arrive at the train station in 20 minutes. It’s been ten years since I boarded the train. The last time I boarded this train when I was 7 years old. But the train has hardly changed at all; it’s still the steam train. And yes, I’m heading to the same place like ten years ago. Not so many people prefer to board this steam train. Sable told me that he didn’t like it too. I know it’s because the train is slower than the electrical train. But still, I prefer this one. Although the journey may take some times, I enjoy watching the beautiful scenery along the way.

Mom gives me another big warm hug and so as Dad. Mom keeps reminding me about the do’s and the don’ts; she still thinks that I’m 7, not 17. Well, that’s a mother. Always worries about her children’s safety, especially to the daughters. Dad gives me the last pats on the back. Then I hug Ace and Sable and tell them to text or email me if they feel lonely. I don’t think they’ll be.

The train shriek in a shrilling voice, telling the passengers to board immediately. I take my two bags, wave them goodbye and board the train. I take a seat near the window and wave to my family again. The bell rings and the whistle whistles. It’s time to go. I can hear the chugging and the train slowly moves. I wave to them until I can’t see their figures anymore.

I look at the number on the ticket and search for my sleeping compartment. The compartment is quite comfortable with bed and a seat near the panoramic window. I put my bag pack on the bed and take a seat. I can see rows of tall buildings and houses. When I was little, Jeff and I love to sit near the panoramic window. Sometimes we popped our heads from the window to feel the wind blew on our faces. Sometimes we liked to wave at the people who lives nearby the railway.

Half an hour later, the train enters the countryside. This is the scene that I’ve been waiting. I can see lots of farms; farmers are doing their jobs and their live stocks munching the grasses. I can see some horses too. Few minutes later, my stomach grumbles. I decide to have my lunch at the dining section.

I take a seat quite far from the chattering folks; only few of teenagers that can be seen around here. I open my first lunchbox which contains 3 bacon sandwiches and 5 garlic bread sticks. As I munch the sandwiches, I spot a guy who is disturbingly familiar. He’s wearing a black leather jacket with dark blue jeans. Wait a minute! Isn’t that Stefan?

Our eyes meet and that guy approaches to my seat. It is Stefan! What is he doing here?

“Alice? What are you doing here?” he asks.

“What do you mean ‘what am I doing here’? What are you doing here?” I frown. This is getting suspicious. Is he following me?

“I’m going to the Academy but I will be staying at my friend’s house for few days. What about you?” he answers and sits in front of me.

“I’m going to the Academy too but I’m staying at my relative’s at Street 69,” I take another bite, not to bother to ask him if he wants some.

“You come here alone?” he asks.

Hello. Am I sitting with somebody else here?

“Yeah. And you?”

“Tavis is here too but he’s having a tantrum in our sleeping compartment. I think you should talk to him. He doesn’t want to listen to me,” he sighs. “Can you come with me after you finish your lunch?”

I think for few seconds and nod. Stefan thanks me and takes out his lunch box. We have silence lunch and after that I follow him to his sleeping compartment which is next to mine.

Tavis is pouting and look at the window. Stefan tells him that I’m here and Tavis turns to me and suddenly jumps from his seat and hugs me tight. He’s glad that I’m here. He lets go off me when Stefan clears his throats few times. I bring my lunch box and offer him the sandwiches.

He eats the sandwiches happily and tells me that he doesn’t want to come in the first place. Uncle Azure forced him to have his special training at the Academy for his carelessness. No wonder he’s been matched with Raina. Both of them are careless. I think Raina should have the special training with Tavis too rather than forcing her to memorize every single spell in three days. Raina love spell-casting so there will be no problem for her in doing that.

Tavis nags about Uncle Azure being unfair for half an hour. Stefan and I are being good listeners. As I see Tavis has let go all of his unsatisfying feeling, I ask him to play I Spot. He agrees and we start asking question of things that we spot along the way. Stefan joins the game too but his questions are too easy. Tavis then feels tired and falls asleep.

Before I leave the compartment, Stefan thanks me and at the same time apologizing for the trouble. I tell him not to worry because I enjoy listening to Tavis’ nagging. Tavis is just like Sable. They like to nag until they feel satisfied. I go back to my compartment and lay on the bed. I look at my watch; two more hours before I reach my destination. I think I’m going to catch few winks.  

14 comments:

Taqiuddin said...

Yay 1st comment
The narration is a bit dull compared to the others, a break to the readers before something big happen I hope. Stefan looks more lively now haha

Ciklong said...

i know...i know. haha. i'm going to develop on the 'quite' charachter. and some of new characters will be introduced in the next chapter :)

Inspector Saahab said...

here i come. i can see few prominent grammar mistakes. eh macam saya dah pula examiner. hehe.

foods should be food right? just to list and few more.

the plot, yes agree with Fred, quite dull. bit pointless but still and enjoyable post. and after so long waiting for this, we are still starving, please continue as soon as possible :P

Taqiuddin said...

Fred? *looks around*

Ciklong said...

chakir: i think u can be good examiner! haha! u can be my examiner!

yeah, i know it's dull. but hey, it's a starting for Alice and Stefan's new journey. :P

anyway, i'll update ASAP!

farid: chakir created an English name for u. haha!

Anonymous said...

Yay! Next chapter!

Ciklong said...

batrisyia: next chapter is up! go read! haha!

Parmita said...

My reading sequence got messed up. I ended up reading the 12th chapter before 11th.

Anyways, quite contrary to what others felt, I actually found this chapter very interesting. Maybe it's because of the reason that I enjoy reading interactions between the characters. It is so, because such conversations bring about deeper meaning to the depth of characters. It shows the past and present equations between them. It also gives insight into the future prospects of the story.

Details are essential because readers have no idea about the writer's perspective.

Another plus of your story is the swing between primitive and modern technology. At one point it's e-mail and at the other end it's a steam engine. I love this amalgamation.

I am a fan of your story. A bit of work on your grammar and you're good to roll.

Ciklong said...

sui: i think i need to re-learn grammar. haha :)

i love to mix between primitive and modern technology. my story timeline is the present so there'll be a lot on the latest gadgets. maybe i should include iPhone. haha!

thanks for being my fan :) i'm your big fan too ^^

Inspector Saahab said...

haha. good la sngat. i could only point out singular and plural mistakes. other than that i dont really see it.


yeh Fred. haha. ada sorang kawan namanya farid n orng panggil dia Fred.

Ciklong said...

chakir: that shows u r a good observant. i have 8 more days before the school starts so i want to write at least 5 more chapters. haha

Inspector Saahab said...

fulaweh. kena beat ni. hehe. got lots of things hanging about the new story but dont know where to start. haha

Ciklong said...

chakir: hahahaha!!! semangat membara ni. tapi nk fokus dua lagi cerita melayu. hehe. have to create a schedule.

PC1667 said...

Yeay yeay! It's the beginning of Alice and Stefan XD Bytheway this chapter reminds me of the moment I first went to boarding school. Dang it feels like yesterday :)