Followers

Thursday 22 December 2011

Circle Quartet: 12


Chapter 12

 Uncle Santos picked me up at the station and he’s very happy to see me. I gave him a big warm hug. He picks up my two large bags and heads to the car. I haven’t seen Stefan and Tavis when I get down from the train. Uncle Santos puts the bags in the car boot and we’re ready to go.

I’m speechless as I enter Street 69. It’s been two years since I came here with my family for Family Day. Most of my relatives on Dad’s side live here. And yes, they are vampires. Genuine vampires. They knew that I’ll be coming so they put up some colourful banners saying ‘Welcome, Alice!’ I feel like I’m a superstar or something. But there’s no one on the street. Not even cats or dogs can be found.

Uncle Santos’ house is number two. The number one is Uncle Aaron’s house, Dad’s eldest brother. Aunt Sallie and her children cheerfully greet me. We hug and kiss on the cheek with each other and they ask me about my journey. I tell them that the train ride is quite interesting but I don’t mention about meeting Stefan and Tavis. Aileen, Aunt Sallie’s youngest daughter excitedly grabs my hand and shows me her play house with lots of teddy bears.

My cousin, Abbie, shows me her room. From now on, I’m sharing room with her as well as her two sisters, Adele and Aileen. The room is big enough for four people and I can see some collections of teddy bears at the corner. It must be Aileen’s. She’s addicted to teddy bears and each of them has the names tagged with collars.

I join them for hi-tea at the backyard. Aunt Sallie loves gardening, just like Mom. She even plants some herbs near the kitchen windows. They bombard me with questions about my families and school and Stefan. Adele wants to know how he and I get along. I just say that we’re good friends even though we’re not.

“There’ll be a barbecue tonight at the Gathering Park. All of us will be there and this barbecue is a special greeting for you, Alice,” says Aunt Sallie.

“Yeah, we even put the banners along the street. Have you seen them?” says Mack while munching on his cakes. He’s the only vampire who likes sweet things.

“I like those banners! You guys make me feel like I’m a superstar!” I giggle.

“Everybody is waiting for you, Alice. It’s been two years. So we decided to do something that will make you are welcome here,” Aunt Sallie smiles.


 The barbecue is really great and happening. Everyone is glad that I came. Jeff is here too! He says that he don’t want to miss this golden opportunity – the barbecue, of course. I have a great time with Jeff and my cousins. The older folks – Grandma Maegan’s group, are talking about their canes – for those who can barely walk, the Aunts are talking about new fashion and hairstyles and the Uncles are talking about sports especially soccer. They are the big fans of soccer. During the soccer season, they will gather at Uncle Aaron’s house every night to watch the match.

The barbecue or I can say the party ends at nearly dawn. We’re nocturnal creatures so we can stay awake for the whole night. Jeff goes back early because he says that his friends are staying with him. Jeff lives not far from Street 69 and he asks me to come and visit him one day.

“Congratulations, Alice, for getting the best result in your school,” Jeff ruffles my choppy hair before leaving, “and good luck for the entrance exam!” He waves goodbye and speeding off with his bike.

Entrance exam? No one told me that I’ll be sitting for the entrance exam!

“Uncle Santos, do we have to sit for entrance exam before going to the Academy?” I ask him during breakfast. He’s reading today’s newspaper.

“Of course, my dear. Did you father tell you about this?” he asks. I shake my head innocently. “I thought you already knew, Alice. The exam will start at 10 o’clock today.”

I choke as I’m drinking my supply. Luckily I don’t spill the blood on the dining table. Aunt Sallie gently caresses my back as I cough while Mack and Malcolm burst into laughter as the blood flows from my nose. Uncle Santos clears his throats and shoots a death glare to them. Both of them stop laughing but I can see they are trying to hold their laughter. Now I become their laughing stock!

 “But no one ever told me about the exam! And it’s one hour from now! I haven’t study anything yet!” I start to pacic. How can I pass the entrance exam without studying? I’m doomed!

“Don’t worry, Alice. I haven’t study a single thing too. Besides, the exams will be held in four groups which represents for the clans and we’ll be sitting for our clan. Aiden said that the questions are all about vampires. It’s easy!” Abbie is trying to cheer me up by patting my shoulder.

I hope so. If I flunk in the exam, I may put the whole vampire clan to disgrace. I ask Aunt Sallie about the exam but she doesn’t want to reveal the clues and so Uncle Santos. Look likes I have to depend on my own. I hope my brain is still well functioning.

We arrive at the Academy 20 minutes before the exam starts. Aunt Sallie drives us there because Uncle Santos has gone to work. She gives us good-luck kiss before driving back home. I pray for a little bit as Abbie grabs my hand to the hall.

As we are searching for the hall, I meet Stefan who is searching for the hall too. We greet each other and I introduce Abbie to him. After that, we wave goodbye and continue with our searching. Abbie whispers to me that Stefan is the hottest werewolf and I think I’m going to vomit blood.

We find the hall for vampire clan and take our seat. The hall is nearly as same as my previous school hall and there are more than 200 exam candidates filling the empty seats. Some of them are my relatives which are the Ambers and some of them came from the other families. Each table is provided with laptop. This is a computerized examination. Which means it’s going to be harder than the written one. The head of examiner briefly explains about the rules and the exam starts in one hour.

Thank God! The questions are about the history of vampires and some general knowledge about vampires. I’ve read about the history of vampires since I was 7 and I still reading it every night before going to bed. And not only that, I read any historical books in the library, back at the mansion. History is my favourite subject.

One hour passes and the exam ends. Everyone shuffles to the exit and we have to wait for another half an hour before the examiners distribute the results at the main entrance hall. Abbie and I go to the cafeteria for we are starving because the exam hall nearly freezes us to death even though we are wearing our sweaters.

The final moment is here and I, once again, pray to God hoping that I’ll get a good result. The result will determine which classes we’ll be sitting; the Elite, the Intermediate, or the Lower. As I and Abbie take our result slip – we have to queue for about 10 minutes before getting the slip; both of us jump with excitement for we made it to the Elite class. Abbie hugs me and scream joyfully and we congratulate each other.

We go to the cafeteria again and there we meet our relatives. The screaming of joy and hugging continue. The screaming makes my throat dry so I decide to buy a drink. I order one juicy red blood from the bar; exclusive for the vampires only. I took a sip and smile widely. This is Heaven!

“Well, well, well, isn’t it Alice the blood-sucker?”

My eyes widen. I know this voice. The voice that I hated the most! I look up and see a guy with spiky blonde hair standing five-feet from me with annoying face. Ugh! Why do I have to meet this stupid spiky-haired guy?

“Mind your own business,” I mutter angrily.

“So, you end up in lower class?” he pretends not to listen to what I’ve said just now.

“I’m not as stupid as you are, pea brain. Get lost!” I stand up and face him.

This jerk’s name is Cody and he’s Stefan’s cousin. He’s as same age as Zayne and he’s so annoying. He thinks that he looks cool with that stupid spiky hair and the girls will easily fall to him. Yuk! He looks like a pig to me.

“What did you say just now? Hey, I’m your senior so respect!” He glares angrily at me. But I’m not afraid of him.

“I don’t respect a cowardly dog like you,” I arrogantly smirk at him.

“Why you little-,” he raises his hand to hit me but someone grabs his shoulder. He stops and turns to his left.

“Touch her then you’ll dead,” warns Stefan as he grips hard on Cody’s shoulder. Cody roughly shakes Stefan’s hand off.

“This is not over yet, blood-sucker,” he hisses and leaves.

“Like I care, stupid dog,” I stick out my tongue to him. I turn to Stefan who stares at Cody. I never thought that he’ll come to the rescue. Well, at least he made that stupid dog leaves.

“Did he say something nasty to you?” asks Stefan as Cody is out from my sight.

“Never been affected of what he said. Don’t worry. He’s just being a jerk. Thanks for making him leave. I’m sick of his stupid spiky hair,” I say, folding my arms to my chest.

He chuckles. “How’s your result? I got the Elite class.”

I show him my result slip. “Same here.” He congratulates me.

“I heard that it’ll be a mix class. Hope that we’ll be in the same class,” he smiles. “I’ll see you later, Alice,” he waves goodbye and leaves.

I blink a few times. Did I just mishear what he said just now? 

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay 1st to comment! AWETHOMEAWETHOMEAWETHOMEAWETHOME!

Ciklong said...

batrisyia: haha! thanks a lot! :)

Taqiuddin said...

AWESOME!!!!!
THe storyline I mean, Stef's getting hotter and hotter (note = I'm not gay)
Anyway, I sensed some errors in the narration like "I'm going to be doom!" can be changed into "I'm DOOMED!". maybe you should re-check it? Otherwise, AWESOME!!!

Parmita said...

Hello Feilong! Good to see you back in action. This chapter was fun to read.

I want to point out certain recurring errors in this chapter.

Firstly, you should end the statements made by the characters with a full stop and not a comma.

Secondly, at many places the tenses are out of order. For example, in the first line of the first paragraph it should be picked and gave instead of pick and give respectively. There are a lot of similar mistakes in the chapter.

Thirdly, I can’t understand why a computerized exam would be tougher than the written ones because the whole point of such an exam is the ease in execution.

Fourthly, there seems to be certain connective words missing in some lines.

In the future, whenever I have enough time, I shall try to edit the entire chapter or at least point out the the exact mistakes in paragraphs. I hope that this helps.

I like it that you brought out a negative character in this chapter. I look forward to the next issue.
See ya!

Ciklong said...

farid: thanks so much! i'll edit the 'doom' part. what do u think of Cody, Stefan's cousin? hehe (yes, u r not a gay, don't worry)

sui: at last! i've been waiting for your comments. haha >.<

thanks, thanks, thanks so much for pointing out the mistakes. really appreciated it!

in this story, computerized exam is tougher than the written one. hehe ^^

thanks for your help. i'll update the next chapter soon (^_^)

Inspector Saahab said...

ok i like this chapter. very good. now the story of the two is getting more interesting :P

wait, vampire do use cranes ? can barely walk? ostephorosis or what? lol

Ciklong said...

chakir: not cranes la but canes. aiyoo! they are too old and some of them have knee complication. haha.

still trying my best to reduce grammatical errors. huhu!

by the way, i create a bad annoying guy in the story. heehe.

Inspector Saahab said...

ok. hehe. silap baca

yeh i see that. menarikk.

Ciklong said...

chakir: it's also based on my experience. pergi melawat kematian nenek saudara yesterday. the old folks yg pakai tongkat duduk in one group, talking about their canes. hehe :)

Inspector Saahab said...

oh.

yup biasa la tu yg pakai tongkat. klu g surau pun pakcik pakcik kat kg ramai pkai tongkat. solat pun sambil duk atas kerusi.

tp mgkin not a common thing to vampires. hehe

Ciklong said...

chakir: vampires can live longer than human. so, most of them dah tak larat nk jalan. ada jugak yang injured during missions. hehe

Inspector Saahab said...

macam macam la. haha.

=.=

Ciklong said...

what do u think of the Cody, the bad wolf?

Inspector Saahab said...

oh dia jahat ke? i thought he is just annoying. but he's stefan's cousin after all. huhu

Ciklong said...

chakir: kira jahat la tu. dia mmg kaki dengki dlm cerita ni (spoiler sket2).

sometimes the cousin can be bad. hehe

PC1667 said...

One confusion here - actually since the previous 2 chapters. Aren't vampires accustomed to cold?

Double blink at Stefan's last three sentences ;)

Ciklong said...

pc 1667:

well...it's nearly winter so it's super cold. even vampires can't stand it.

i want to make it a little bit different in this story...hehe.

Stefan is trying to act cool in front of Alice :P